CAS Experience [Christmas Door Decorating (12/1/21-12/6/21)]

Approaches: School-Based

CAS Strands and Hours: Creativity: 3 hours and Activity: 2 Hours—5 Hours Total

Types of Service Action: Direct/ Research

Targeted Learning Outcomes: Challenge & Skills, Initiative & Planning, Commitment & Perseverance, Collaborative Skills

Description and Goals: When I had learned of a Christmas door decorating contest occurring in early December, I wanted to help one of my favorite teachers, my art teacher Mr. VandenBerg, win the contest. With the help of my friends, we decided that, of the chosen topic Christmas Cartoons by the contest committee, we would try an original idea by making the door a Peppa Pig Christmas-themed one. In order to accomplish this, my four friends and I would contribute different art supplies such as glue, paper, scissors, and embellishments, as well as spend time each day preparing it for the judging on December 6, 2021.

Reflection: As we had met the due date of the judging and had actually ended up winning first place in the contest, it felt good not only to help my teacher represent his subject of the fine arts for the whole school to see but that I was able to help out my friends with an active effort of fun collaboration. Though the work was often stressful and frequently tedious, the support of group morale helped to finish the project in what became an eventually school-admired piece of art. In doing this, I feel as though I gave something back to my school and helped contribute to a larger effort at hand for the holiday season.

Supervisor Name, Title, and Email: Joseph M. VandenBerg, Spruce Creek High School photography and art teacher–jmvanden@volusia.k12.fl.us

Me working on the project and the final door

Published by

laura4sc22

The Best Ceramics Student-EVER.